Tired of Feeling Tired All the Time?
Guest post by Dr. Hilary Taglio
Do you wake up feeling fully rested and energetic in the morning? Or are you like so many others who are always tired, no matter how much sleep they get? Do you have difficulty falling asleep and sleeping soundly through the night? There are several factors that can interfere with sleep and/or cause you to feel tired all the time.
How to Boost Your Energy
- Stick to a routine. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day to keep your circadian rhythms consistent (even on the weekends).
- Eat more “good” fats. Yes, fats. As long as you are choosing healthy, organic, grass-fed, non-GMO sources of fats, there's nothing to worry about and they won't make you fat. Fats give you a natural source of energy with an even burn, preventing blood sugar level “spikes” and “crashes.” In addition, healthy fats repair cell membranes and mitochondria, regulate hormones and are important in recovery and energy production.
- Eliminate stimulants for good. Dependency on caffeine such as coffee and energy drinks to get you going contributes to adrenal burnout and actually causes you to have less energy.
- Exercise moderately. Exercise releases endorphins, doing wonders for boosting your energy, stamina, and mood. Regular high-intensity exercise such as indoor cycling helps regulate hormone levels for better sleep as well.
- Do not over-exercise. Too much exercise causes more stress to your system. Resistance training and short HIIT-type workouts will help boost anti-aging Human Growth Hormone.
- Drink more water. Dehydration causes your blood to thicken, making your heart work harder to get oxygen to your tissues, making you feel tired. Being dehydrated even a little impairs performance in tasks requiring attention, psychomotor and memory skills.
- Shut off the electronics. Keep electronic devices away from your bedroom. Beds are for sleeping, not work or T.V. Shut devices down at least an hour before bed so they don’t interfere with your natural sleep/wake cycle.
- Cut out alcohol. A glass of wine will make you sleepy temporarily, but only to wake you up
and disrupt your sleep later in the night.
- Practice relaxation techniques. Yoga, herbal teas, meditation/prayer, journaling, hot baths, reading and other quiet, stress-relieving activities will get your body ready for restful sleep.
Health Issues That Drain Energy
If you are already implementing the solutions above and are still feeling tired all the time, pay attention. You could have one of these underlying health issues that shouldn't be ignored:
A malfunctioning thyroid gland can cause intense fatigue, along with a variety of other symptoms.
Heavy Metal Toxicity
Most of us have some level of heavy metals within our tissues from sources such as water, dental fillings, the environment etc. Intense fatigue is one of the many symptoms of heavy metal toxicity. Detox your body of heavy metals properly and have your metal fillings removed by a biological (mercury-safe) dentist. Heavy metal detox done right can change your life. (Contact our office if you would like more information.)
Adrenal Gland Dysfunction
Another cause of fatigue from chronic adrenal stress and/or underlying hormonal imbalances.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Fatigue that doesn’t go away even after getting plenty of sleep.
A condition that can be caused by a variety of factors, such as high stress, alcohol, nutritional deficiencies, too little sunlight, heavy metal toxicity, hormone imbalances and food allergies.
A low level of red blood cells, leading to a very low level of oxygen within the tissues of your body, causing notable weakness and fatigue.
Blood Sugar Imbalance
Improperly absorbed glucose over time can lead to serious diseases like Type II Diabetes. Lower your intake of sugars, grains (especially gluten-containing grains) and conventional dairy products.
Finding the Root Cause is Key
If you've tried everything to boost your energy and still don’t feel well, remember that our office has helped many others identify the root cause of sleep and anxiety issues; low energy and brain fog; as well as weight loss resistance. Please feel free to call our office to set up a complimentary consultation or request more information. We are here to help and be a resource for you.
As a wife and mother of two active little boys, Dr. Taglio understands that life is busy and can easily get out of balance. She knows how important healthy habits are in maintaining a healthy family. She is committed to addressing the whole body and takes a multi-pronged approach to improving the function of the nervous system, by removing nerve interference through chiropractic, addressing nutritional components and incorporating neuromuscular re-education to maintain spinal health and stability. She has made it her mission to help people not only feel great, but also help them reach their highest potential, in whatever their endeavors are. She has a love for children and their healing through chiropractic and nutrition.