Butter Coffee Has Arrived
Guest post by Dr. Hilary Taglio, D.C.
Bulletproof coffee is all the rage: grass-fed butter and MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) or coconut oil, blended into coffee. The result is a frothy, creamy, delicious coffee treat that has long-lasting energy benefits, improving physical and mental performance.
Is Bulletproof Coffee Healthy?
You have probably heard that all forms of saturated fats are potentially harmful, but research is showing evidence that saturated fats (from clean/healthy sources) are largely missing from most modern diets and are hugely beneficial and necessary for health.
Studies are showing that MCTs suppress fat deposition by increasing thermogenesis and fat oxidation. This thermogenic effect and ability to be quickly used for energy, helps significantly with energy and satiety, when eating a lower glycemic diet.
Benefits of Good Fats (MCTs):
- Helps maintain a healthy weight by increasing satiety
- Provides a concentrated source of energy, longer lasting fuel which is not stored as fat
- Improves cognitive function - think more clearly!
- Provides building blocks for cell membrane repair and function
- Balances hormone levels
- Contains antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties that benefit heart health, prevents obesity and promotes brain health.
- Improves digestion by supporting a healthy gut environment
- Increases metabolism, reducing stored body fat
- Improves mood
- Boosts immune system function - antimicrobial properties fight bacteria and viruses stronger
- Better ability to absorb fat-soluble nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, and K)
- Prevent and help treat metabolic syndrome
- Play a vital role in the health of our bones
Best Sources of Medium Chain Triglycerides:
- MCT oil (high quality, processed properly, without filler oils)
- Coconut oil (high quality, minimally processed, without filler oils)
- Organic, grass-ged butter or ghee (preferably raw/unpasteurized)
- Organic, grass-fed, whole milk (preferably raw/unpasteurized) and full-fat yogurt
- Organic, grass-fed cheeses (preferably raw)
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
If you’re not a coffee drinker, you can use green tea, chai tea etc. and blend the same way.
- 1 cup of high quality coffee (Arabica beans are less likely to contain mycotoxins)
- 1 Tbs grass-fed organic unsalted butter or ghee (raw is best)
- 1 Tbs high quality MCT or organic coconut oil
- Blend in blender for 20-30 seconds until frothy
Heal Your Body from Within
In our office, we promote an anti-inflammatory approach to nutrition to help nourish and heal the body from within. We offer real solutions to cellular and hormonal dysfunction that are targeted at fixing the problem at the source. We offer periodic informational classes that are fun and educational. If you are interested in attending one of our free classes on real solutions to hormone imbalances and inflammation, contact our office for information on the next upcoming class.
As a wife and mother of two active little boys, Dr. Taglio understands that life is busy and can easily get out of balance. She knows how important healthy habits are in maintaining a healthy family. She is committed to addressing the whole body and takes a multi-pronged approach to improving the function of the nervous system, by removing nerve interference through chiropractic, addressing nutritional components and incorporating neuromuscular re-education to maintain spinal health and stability. She has made it her mission to help people not only feel great, but also help them reach their highest potential, in whatever their endeavors are. She has a love for children and their healing through chiropractic and nutrition.