October is here and Halloween is just around the corner – with all its tempting and unhealthy treats just waiting to lure you in and trap you in its deliciously unhealthy monster arms with no retreat!
We know that the candy, treats and sweets are oh-so tempting. But no fear, you can still stick to clean eating while enjoying Halloween festivities. Try out these three deliciously scary clean Halloween treats ready to be devoured by you and your little monsters, goblins and ghoulies!
3-INGREDIENT HALLOWEEN APPLE BITES
- Jam or nut butter
- Almonds or pumpkin seeds
First you slice ‘em up. Feel free to rub a bit of lemon juice on them if they will be sitting out. This is why I like spreading nut butter on the middle to cover up the apple flesh – it hides a bit of browning.
Now, spread on some jam or nut butter for the tongue and then push some slivered almonds in for the teeth. For a nut-free option, sunflower or pumpkin seeds can work in a pinch. Likewise, you could also use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.
Recipe by: Angela of Oh She Glows
PUMPKIN SPICE MINI MUFFINS
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (no sugar added)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup apple sauce (no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- (15 ounce) can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and pumpkin spice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Combine the liquid into the flour and stir until smooth.
- Spoon into mini muffin tins (I used non-stick with a light spray of olive oil).
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Recipe by: Tiffany of The Gracious Pantry
BOO-KIE DOUGH BITES
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet chocolate or vegan)
- Grind the oats and nuts in a food processor for 1 minute, and then add the honey, vanilla, coconut oil, and chocolate chips.
- Using a 1-teaspoon measure, roll into balls. To Freeze: Place balls in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for 20-30 minutes. Move to a zip top freezer
Recipe by: Catherine McCord for goop.