Summer’s bounty provides the ultimate opportunity to recalibrate your eating habits. It’s the easiest time of year to increase your daily intake of fruits and veggies, and eat cleaner meals. Here are some of our ideas for putting healthy, fresh foods on your plate this summer.
Join the farm-to-fork movement. Sacramento is quickly rising to the distinction of being one of the nation’s leader’s in offering fresh, local produce to consumers when they shop or dine out.
- Pick your own produce. Visit a local farm and get your fruits and veggies straight from the source. Two of our favorites are Once in a Blue Moon Berries and Davis Ranch.
- Dining out? Use this handy guide to find the freshest menus Sactown has to offer.
- Get the whole family excited about where their food comes from by joining in on one of our region’s many food and farm tour experiences.
- Try some of our favorite farm-to-fork recipes.
Get Excited About Grilling!
There are some fun health benefits to using the grill besides being closer to the action in the pool.
- You eat less fat, because the excess drops through the grates while the food cooks. Plus, the grill locks in moisture during the cooking process, meaning you need fewer added fats for a tasty meal.
- Meat and vegetables retain more nutrients when they are grilled.
- Grilling gets you outside, which means you are more likely to toss a Frisbee with the dogs or splash with your kids while the food is cooking. It’s a natural way to fit activity into your day.
Try Something New
Make a goal to try one new fruit or vegetable each time you visit the farmer’s market or the produce section of the grocery store. You might be surprised to find some new favorites! Or, how about experimenting with a new recipe?
Summer or winter, rain or shine, at Cal Fit we want to help you stay fit and healthy. If you'd like some hands on tips for improving your nutrition, sign up here for our upcoming nutrition workshop on June 28th, "Nutrition for Busy Lifestyles".