Each November, the Movember Foundation takes action to inspire awareness and funding for men's health issues. Globally, the lifespan of men is an average of six years less than that of women. Many of the leading causes of death for men are treatable and preventable. The Movember Foundation addresses some of the biggest health issues faced by men: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health and suicide prevention.
There are two ways for both men and women to get involved during Movember in promoting awareness and raising funds for research on men's health. You can grow a mustache (remember, it's No Shave November) or Move for Movember with the 60 Mile Challenge: running or walking 60 miles this month in honor of the 60 men we lose to suicide each year. Read on for some tips for growing your mo' or fitting in those miles!
Wanting to increase your movement through walking or running this November?
- Make sure you have the right shoes. Just because you see a pair worn by your favorite athlete doesn't mean that shoe is right for you. Different brands and styles are geared for specific needs, and what you need is based on your gait, stride, size, and even where you'll be running. A good pair of shoes is key to preventing injury and keeping your joints, tendons, and ligaments happy. We recommend visiting a Fleet Feet near you for a free fitting session.
- Everyone has to start somewhere! Walking is a good start if you've been sedentary or you are recovering from an injury. The Mayo Clinic offers a great plan for building strength to walk briskly for 30 minutes--a very achievable goal if you are beginning your fitness journey. If you are ready to progress from walking to running, try one of the popular Couch to 5K apps available, or use this 10 week plan to prepare to run a 5K.
- Don't let bad weather stop you. Our clubs are full of treadmills just waiting for you to come in out of the cold (or smoke)! If you'd like to make your walking or running workout a little more fun, we suggest making a trip to our Downtown cardio theater, where we show movies all day long! You can check the November movie schedule here.
If a mustache is the way you plan to join in the Movember movement, then check out these pro tips for growing that 'stache from The Movember Foundation:
- Be prepared. Before your first follicle appears, choose the mustache that will grace your face by browsing the inspirational Movember Mo Style Guide.
- Be brave. The first few days, even weeks, can be uncomfortable and a little awkward as your facial fuzz grows and your Mo takes shape.
- Ignore the itching. Remind yourself that men have endured worse in the past; you can stand a little face tickle.
- Shape your mustache using proper grooming techniques. A great Mo comes down to grooming.
- Nurture it and keep it clean. Look after your Mo, and your Mo will look after you.
Cal Fit would love to meet your Mo and find out how you are doing with getting in those miles. Please tag us in your social media posts as you show off the 'stache or go for a run with the hashtag #CalFitMovember.