- Plan ahead: give yourself 1 hours at the beginning of the week to make a weekly meal guide. Map out what you’ll be eating every day for the next 5 days. Make sure each meal has fiber packed fruits or vegetables, a healthy amount of fats and carbs, and a good amount of protein. If you need some inspiration, visit our Healthy Recipes Pinterest board!
- Prep your meals: give yourself another 1-2 hours (once at the beginning of the week and once in the middle of the week) to prep your food. Cook lean proteins like chicken, fish, tofu, or beans and lightly season. Make a couple of different fresh or cooked vegetable combos like broccoli, green beans, kale, carrots, or asparagus, and some sliced fruit. Whatever you decided to do, prep the food enough so that is can be easily eaten and not a pain to prepare in the moment (you’ll be more likely to opt for a take out meal instead of a meal from home if it takes too long to prepare at lunchtime)
- Get acquainted with your kitchen tools: there are lots of kitchen gadgets and appliances that are designed to make meal prep a breeze. From crockpots, to food processors, to even your microwave, you probably already have most of these items in your kitchen already.
- Add some spice: if you’re feeling bored with your normal brown bagged lunch, add some seasons or dressings to give it some excitement. Sriracha (a tiny bit goes a long way), mustard, bbq sauce, red pepper flakes, rosemary, lemon pepper, lemon/lime juice, salsa, balsamic vinegar and EVOO,
- Make it pretty: you’ll be so excited to eat your prepared meal when it’s housed in a nice container. If you have a combination of food items, look for a reusable container that has separate sections to help divide it up. Either way, use a container that easily holds your entire meal in a neat and secure way. Don’t forget to pack utensils in case you’re noshing on-the-go!
Savor Sweet Success:
A huge obstacle to eating healthy is often a mind-over-matter issue, more than a time issue. Getting into the habit of being proactive when it comes to preparing your meals ahead of time will require a commitment. It’s time to prove to yourself that you can and you will savor sweet success.