Did you know that friends who work out together are not only more likely to reach their fitness goals, they cope with stress better, too? Exercising with a friend has some pretty amazing benefits, and science is behind us on this one.
- A study published in the International Journal of Stress Management found that people who exercised on a stationary bicycle for 30 minutes with a friend said they felt calmer after the workout than those who cycled alone.
- Researchers from the University of Southern California found that people who worked out with friends (or a spouse or co-worker) said they enjoyed the exercise more than those who sweat it out alone.
- And in another study published by the Society of Behavioral Medicine showed that working with a partner improved performance, doubling the workout time of those who exercised alone. More activity = more results!
In a nutshell, exercising with a buddy can be more effective, more relaxing, and overall MORE FUN! Benefits like that are going to help you--and your friends--make fitness a lifelong habit!
Tomorrow is National Stress Day. To celebrate fitness and friends being an ideal combo for combating stress, we're offering you a chance to work out at Cal Fit with a friend for FREE tomorrow! Here's how it works:
- Members over age 18 can bring one (1) non-member guest with them to any of our clubs on Wednesday, November 7th.
- The guest must be 18 years of age or older and be able to present a valid photo ID.
- Your guest will be able to enjoy the club with you for FREE. This includes group fitness classes, pools, basketball, and racquetball courts.
Good luck, and de-stress to look and feel your best!