Most of us have heard of the "runner's high." This "high" is this chemical response occurring in the brain. As your heart rate goes up, your brain chemistry reacts almost immediately to get you feeling better physically and mentally.
- Working out creates a type of low-level stress on the body that releases gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a calming neurotransmitter which also boosts immunity to stress, allowing you to take on life's challenges much easier.
- Brain derived neurotrophic factor or BDNF, is also released, which protects and repairs/rejuvenates adult nerve cells from the damage stress causes, helping to prevent emotional disorders and depression. These also have a very similar addictive properties to morphine heroine or nicotine, but they are actually good for you!
- Antibody production increases in response to exercise and happiness, helping to fight off viruses, bacteria and disease.
- Serotonin levels are elevated giving you feelings of serenity and hopefulness.
- Norepinephrine is released and works with dopamine to boost your mood and enhance decision making ability.
- Exercise raises dopamine, the "feel-good" mood boosting chemical, controlling the brain's pleasure and reward center, releasing feelings of relaxation and euphoria.
- Endorphins are increased from the pituitary gland with as little as 20 minutes of exercise and are responsible for pain fighting peptides.
- Endocannabinoids are compounds closely related to the cannabis plant, process pain sensation, mood, memory and appetite and are also elevated with exercise.
According to New York Times best-selling author Gretchen Reynolds, in her book, "The first 20 minutes," a mere 20 minutes of focused exercise is all that is needed to achieve the highest level of happiness and health benefits.
Similarly, due to the connection of the mind and body to the nervous system, Chiropractic adjustments have a regulatory effect on neurotransmitters, normalizing brain waves and function, balancing how we think, feel and behave. EEG scans performed pre and post adjustment, have shown to normalize readings on brain wave maps, increasing alpha waves associated with a relaxed meditative state. The spine and nervous system are interrelated and connected to every aspect of our expression of health and wellness.
As a wife and mother of two active little boys, Dr. Taglio understands that life is busy and can easily get out of balance. She knows how important healthy habits are in maintaining a healthy family. She is committed to addressing the whole body and takes a multi-pronged approach to improving the function of the nervous system, by removing nerve interference through chiropractic, addressing nutritional components and incorporating neuromuscular re-education to maintain spinal health and stability. She has made it her mission to help people not only feel great, but also help them reach their highest potential, in whatever their endeavors are. She has a love for children and their healing through chiropractic and nutrition.