Good news! Making cardio and strength training part of your life will not only trim your body, but also boost your brain power, productivity, smarts and energy levels. Research has shown that people who perform cardio regularly had an increase in the size of their hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls learning, concentration and memory. More demanding cardiovascular exercise has shown to produce bigger spikes in brain boosting chemicals. Research also found that moderate to high intensity strength training helps the brain process information quicker.
How Exercise Makes You Smarter:
- Extra blood is pumped to the brain, increasing the flow of oxygen and nutrients, helping it perform at its best
- Increases brain boosting chemicals to enhance memory, problem solving skills and decision making
- Reduces stress, thus increasing mental performance
- Increases BDNF (brain derived neurotropic factor), which aids in new brain cell growth/regeneration, mood regulation and learning
- Increases serotonin for mood boosting, that can last up to 12 hours
- Increases dopamine for enhanced learning and attention
- Releases norepinephrine, for increased attention, perception and motivation
What type of exercise produces the best brain enhancing benefits?
It is best to gradually work up to doing high intensity interval training type cardio and combining it with moderate to high intensity resistance training. Please consult a Personal Trainer if you are not familiar with these types of exercises.
Other Ways to Exercise/Boost Your Brain Power:
- A clean diet, high in antioxidant rich foods is essential to brain health and vitality
- Get good sleep, consistently
- Be social – having a stable social network has shown to protect against Alzheimer's disease
- Learn new words and use them
- Listen to different kinds of music or learn to play an instrument
- Perform familiar activities in new ways, for example, using your non-dominant hand
- Meditation/prayer improves psychological wellbeing
On their own, chiropractic adjustments have also shown to improve mind-body coordination, body awareness, proprioception and decrease mental and oxidative stress. Because of its focus on the nervous system, more and more people are utilizing chiropractic as an important part of their “wellness lifestyle.” Maintaining a properly functioning spine and nervous system is essential for you to function at your very best. If you are not currently under chiropractic care, please do not hesitate to call our office to get started today.
As a wife and mother of two active little boys, Dr. Taglio understands that life is busy and can easily get out of balance. She knows how important healthy habits are in maintaining a healthy family. She is committed to addressing the whole body and takes a multi-pronged approach to improving the function of the nervous system, by removing nerve interference through chiropractic, addressing nutritional components and incorporating neuromuscular re-education to maintain spinal health and stability. She has made it her mission to help people not only feel great, but also help them reach their highest potential, in whatever their endeavors are. She has a love for children and their healing through chiropractic and nutrition.