Thank you to everyone who attended our Whole Foods Market demo on healthy snacks! As promised, below are your recipes!
Sweet Almond Creme with fresh Berries
Put a dollop on some seasonal fruit or use as a topping for oatmeal. Satisfies late night cravings for ice cream and sweets.
- 1 1/2 cup raw almonds, soaked in water for an hour
- 3 dates, soaked in water for about an hour
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
Blend all ingredients together
“Cheezy Kale Chips”
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 bunches green or red curly kale
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soymilk, almondmilk or ricemilk, or water
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion granules
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Soak cashews in enough water to cover for a couple of hours. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 275°F. Wash, stem and thoroughly dry kale, tearing it into large pieces. Set aside.
In a blender, purée soaked cashews, soymilk, peppers, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion granules, lemon juice and salt. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, lightly coat kale leaves with cashew sauce and spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Make sure leaves are not stacked on top of each other, so that leaves dry and bake evenly. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crisp, gently turning over about halfway through cooking. You can also use a dehydrator to dry the chips. Remove from baking sheets and repeat with remaining kale leaves and cashew mixture. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.